Monday, July 25, 2005

Happy to have a leash

I am now the proud owner of a client-issued LG mobile phone (this is the upside of working for a client who also owns a telecommunications company). The only downside is that, in India, it’s not really a very good phone. It’s known more or less as a labor phone, as in it’s a phone marketed to the masses. It’s the phone meant for people who may barely have a proper roof over their head, but need or want a mobile phone. While I do have proper lodging, I have practically nothing else to show for myself in India, so I guess that works. I really don’t care – the phone works perfectly fine, even though the battery tends to need nightly charging. It has a color screen, text messaging, and even a cricket game which I’ve yet to try, so there you go. Apparently calls to my phone are free. I only have to pay for personal outgoing calls, and I don’t have to pay for the phone itself or the service, so I’m extremely pleased. It was a bit nerve-wracking on Sunday to be shopping with my coworkers and wonder, what if we get separated?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yep; the RIM phones are for poor suckers - if you look carefully at what Mukesh Ambani & the other bigwigs carry, it's two phones: the RIM phone b/c they have to, and a GSM phone b/c that's what they want to use. ;-)

DO NOT watch the monkey dances - they're abusing the poor little monkey (or dog, or bear, or mule, or whatever they want you to watch) to make it "dance" - and it's extortionary.

BTW, the stares won't go away for as long as you're in India... but you'll get so used to it, that when you come back, you'll feel a bit like you're being ignored. ;-)

Stares are 99% likely just honest curiousity (literally, those folks have never seen a blonde woman outside of Paris Hilton or Buffy the Vampire Slayer), nothing more.

But in some areas of India, they WILL want to touch you (like Japan) so just be aware... have fun!

Christie said...

I don't know if I'd put myself in the same category of Paris Hilton, but I get what you're saying ;) haha. Maybe I can keep up the stare factor if I keep wearing Indian clothes when I'm back in the states! lol.