Saturday, March 31, 2007

My Virtual Cellar

I've just discovered a new toy: the Cellar Tracker!

For awhile now, I've been researching (free) online wine inventory systems. I chose Cellar Tracker because of the features to see others' tasting notes, ratings, and even purchase prices and pictures of the labels. The interface isn't very pretty, but it's funtionality more than makes up for it.

My goal was to have a more interactive view of what wine I purchase, when I should drink it, and how it tastes. So instead of reading rave wine reviews and then trying to hunt the bottles down (which this site helps with as well), I can now enter the wines I purchase and see relevant tasting notes from other users! Also, once you drink a wine, you designate that in the inventory and update the tasting notes if you'd like. It doesn't delete the wines you drink from your profile, although it removes them from your current inventory. You can always go back to see what that bottle was that you put in the recycling bin after the dinner party a few weeks ago...

I've made my cellar public, under the handle 'crushed'. And soon, I'll even start to populate my wish list, for those of you who don't know what to get me for my birthday. Here's a link to my current inventory. If that doesn't work, go to the main page, and search for my user name 'crushed' in the upper left text box.

[02/04/07: I knew I would find more to love about this cellar tracker site. I just discovered the 'wine list' feature where you can create a printable wine list from your own cellar inventory. There are options of how to organise the wine list - by varietal, by old world appellation, etc. How cool is that?!]

No comments: