After a week home on sick leave without socialising, wearing makeup, or doing anything else that would be considered responsible or productive, I was in the mood to see some friends on Friday night. I invited John and Kylie over for a last minute dinner party, and I made baked pork loin with layered slices of apples, onions, celery root, sweet potato, and prunes. We made it through a bottle of Red Bicyclette Syrah (rating: average, £6) and a bottle of Tesco-grade CDP (better than average for the price, £6). John and I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but I think his mind was too tired to really follow it. It was my second viewing, and I really enjoyed it (again).
On Saturday night I had a friend, Eve, over for dinner -- scallop bisque (from scratch!), goat cheese covered in edible ash (sounds strange, I know) and an amazing bottle of White Burgundy were on the menu. We headed over to Kylie's house party around 9:30pm and had a great time meeting new people. Kylie lives in a 5-bed house and each flatmate had friends over, which made for a good mix of people.
Around 11:30pm, I decided to reapply my lipstick and went to retrieve my coat from the banister where I had left it. Hm, it wasn't there...Oh well. There are coats everywhere; someone must have moved it. I look in the bedrooms, on the coat racks. Er....where is my jacket? This was mostly annoying because in the coat pockets were my wallet, house keys and mobile phone.
After getting no less than 6 people involved in the search, we realised that someone's friend, Lee, had left wearing the coat about 10-15 minutes before. His mobile number was dialed, rang and rang, and eventually he answered, only to hang up on the caller (he was pretty drunk, thus him leaving the party early, wearing a women's coat!)
Once we realised that he was unreachable in more ways than one, we knew we'd have to go to his house to get it either that night or the next morning. While we waited for his girlfriend to call us back, we kept enjoying the party, dancing around and playing charades. Once we confirmed the location of the coat and that someone was awake at the house, his friend Dave and I called a cab to take us to Great Portland Street in Westminster near Marylebone.
Jacket retrieved, and apology accepted by the girlfriend for Lee's inadvertent theft, I was back in the cab to my house. I was home and in bed by 3am...make that 4am (time change occurred in London that night). I spent Sunday on the couch watching endless hours of T.V. and napping/reading. I finished reading "High Fidelity" and starting "Baghdad Burning". Earlier this week I also read "The Kite Runner" and most of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves".
Now it's Monday and I'm back to the real world.
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment