Even though I officially moved in 2 weekends ago, I was in Lisbon and Barcelona respectively, so this has been my first weekend in the West Hampstead flat. Particularly after my two weeks of sickness, a weekend alone in my new flat was exactly what I needed (my new flatmate, Leandra, has been in Goa on holiday for two weeks).
In Leandra's absence, I've taken some liberties reorganising a few things to make room for my stuff and just generally tidy up. For example, we have a butcher block with shelves that double as a wine and beer rack. There was a fair amount of Beck's and Carling beer, but it was very dusty, so I investigated...All couple of dozen cans/bottles expired in 2005, or at the latest, in July 2006. Right. So, open, pour down the drain, recycle, repeat for about 10 minutes. Also, she admits to being a product junkie and it does look like at least 3-4 girls share the bathroom, even though there is just two of us. When I was moving things around, I found a surprising amount of empty product bottles. So again, to the recycle/trash bin!
I've had to reorganise some of the uses of kitchen shelves and cabinets to make room for my kitchen things, and I've done some general household maintenance like replacing burned out bulbs and re affixing a few curtain hooks. Other than the flat in Clapham, which didn't seem very lived in due to a lack of personal belongings (mine or my flatmate's), this is my first time moving into a flat that's already occupied. It's a little disappointing, in that I always take unusual joy in deciding what should go in which cabinets, which drawer makes the most sense for the flatware, etc. But, I am starting to feel like this flat is mine. I just hope Leandra doesn't mind the way I've made my mark.
The flat has a very homey feeling, and it's cozy without being restrictively small. It's split level, with the main floor (kitchen and living room) being 1/2 flight of stairs above street level and the lower floor (two bedrooms and bathroom) being level with the backyard area. The living room has a bay window facing the street and it's connected to the kitchen/eating area by a wide double door frame (sans door) that essentially makes the area one living space. The kitchen is spacious and looks out onto a large area separated into little patios and gardens for each of the flats surrounding it, forming a closed in rectangle of trees and plants. Looking out the window feels more like looking into a park, which after my time in Santa Cruz and the Presidio in San Francisco, I really appreciate and enjoy.
Downstairs, my room faces out the back, also with a view of the gardens. There is storage space under the stairs, and each of the bedrooms has built in cabinets and closets. There is recessed lighting throughout the flat, which has imitation wood flooring on the upper floor, and carpeting through the rest of the flat. My room is furnished in earth tones, with the 'wood' flooring, a chocolate brown leather headboard and bed frame, and light wood cabinets and dresser. I've organised all my clothes and belongings and it no longer takes me extra time in the morning to get ready (trying to think, now which suitcase did I put that in?).
It's good to have a home again. Now let the dinner parties and wine nights begin!

No comments:
Post a Comment