I am starting to figure more and more things out. This is what I have learned so far this week:
-Which 'way out' (exit) to take from the Bank tube stop to get to the Accenture Fenchurch office
-That I can top-up my pay-as-you-go phone virtually anywhere, and I just bought a top up card (like a reusable gift card) at Tesco last night
-People really don't come into the office until anywhere between 9-9:30am. If you are here at 8:30am, you are an early bird.
-Grocery stores close at 4pm or 5pm on Sundays, so you better get your shopping done before then.
-Refridgerators are so small here that it really isn't feasible to do all your shopping for the week in one go. This is why it's key to live close to a good grocery store, because you will be going there every few days.
-Washing machines here are usually in the kitchen (taking up what would be cabinet space for pots and pans).
-Not all flats (including mine) have dryers, and to air dry clothes in the winter, you use the radiators.
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
You should have seen us two years ago at Thanksgiving trying to figure out food safety and the "beer fridge" that Alex and Becca had in their flat. Everything worked out, and nobody got food poisoning, but it was such a headache.
My washer and dryer (I know, at least I have a tumble dryer) are in my (already too tiny) kitchen. Sucks.
Most of the people here I know who do have a washer/dryer combo actually have it in the same unit. Yes, that's right, you can put in the detergent, press start, and come back to dry clothes. Although...it tends to take several hours (I'm not kidding) and even then requires more drying. [You don't have to have both cycles back-to-back if you want to take some clothes out for air dry].
In my flat though, the kitchen is huge, and the washing machine is actually in the second bathroom. Yep, I am moving into a 2BR, 1.5BA in London with a spacios kitchen. Not too shabby...
I will definitely post pictures of my apartment once I actually live there and get settled.
I actually looked at a couple of apartments here with those combo units. I was very skeptical, and it sounds ilke I was right to be.
I think I have more space in my bathroom than in my current kitchen. Maybe I am in London and I just don't know it. Hey, it's raining a lot--that must be another clue, right?
Marks & Spencer ready made meals...I was all about it.
Brett - it's obvious that you were on an expense account ;)
Although...I am sitting here watching the Saturday night Ant & Dec show and eating M&S Moroccan Style Fruity Couscous side salad, and I just bought a wallet and a sweater there tonight too. Pretty cool to buy clothes and groceries in the same store.
Liz - I would venture to guess that the W&D combo units in the US are much better than the ones here. Most of the washer/dryer units here are subpar by our supersized, superspeed, and superpowered standards. Even the standalone dryers here aren't very good and I think it has to do with how much heat/power they are designed to have. It's a good thing I already air dry most of my work clothes.
Post a Comment