Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I know what they mean....

...but it still sounds funny. Here are the translations.

UK: How are you finding London?
US: How are you liking London [so far]? (I found it just fine. The plane flew straight here. True, I got lost a lot around the city at first...oh wait, that's not what they mean)

UK: You alright?
US: How are you? (This has the same, I-don't-really-want-you-to-answer-my-actual question connotation, and I still feel awkward replying. I just 'hear' it so literally).

UK: Give us a shout
US: Give me a call (Let me just say that I can't wait until I can easily adapt to the royal 'we' in this context. Brilliant!)

UK: Have a think...
US: Think about... (I have already adopted this. Using the work 'think' as a noun is just so much fun. It's like, have an apple, have a piece of cake, have a think...mmm, chewy)

UK: You can do (or) you should do
US: You can or you should (i.e. "I was thinking about taking the Eurostar to Paris this weekend" 'You can do, just be sure to check the web site for special fares')

UK: Sorted
US: Worked out, figured out (i.e. My UK finances are not yet sorted, but I am borrowing a phone on a pay-as-you-go plan, so at least my mobile phone is sorted)

UK: Cheers
US: Thanks or Bye (clink? cheers? where's the champagne?)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I personally recommend drinking too much wine and giggling every time someone says something like that. They also like it when you add, "You sound so British!" Honest.

(You could skip the "too much wine" part, of course, but that gives you something of an excuse for the giggling. Plus, what fun is it to skip the wine? Drink some extra for me.)

Christie said...

As much as I like your suggestion, I am usually hearing these at work, so it's best to avoid the alcohol...at least until lunch. Okay, or happy hour. And I think your success with the "you sound so British" only works because you are so cute :)

Frank Bresz said...

I think you need to as rapidly adopt British as quickly as possible. I spent a week there and I worked the following sentence into my deliverables. "The QA environment is rather spot-on but the development environment is a bit dodgey" - meaning of course "The QA environment was well secured but the development environment had control weaknesses".

Not sure if you're a smoker or not but try this the next time you're out drinking with the gang: "Anyone got any fags?!" See what happens ;-)