Friday, December 16, 2005

Oh, Christmas Tree

This year is the first year in a long time that I am so excited about Christmas. I get to see my family and friends who I've missed, I'm back home from traveling abroad for the second half of the year, but most significantly, I haven't suffered the bombardment of Christmas hype since mid-September, or whenever it is nowadays that they start the ads, and the decorations, and the cards. Each year seems worse, and by the time Christmas actually rolls around, you just don't want to see tinsel ever again.

Arriving back to this over-consuming and marketing-driven culture mid-December is perfect. I'm ready to see all the lights and trees, hear the caroling songs, and shop/wrap presents for the next two weeks, and then it will be over - poof! Easy come, easy go. No matter what Christmas actually means to you, be it religious holiday, a time to spend with family and friends, or simply another day off of work, it shouldn't be all about buying, buying, buying, especially all those stupid secret santa gifts. Sigh. Well, I don't mean to be a grinch; I'm just thankful that I'm ready to enjoy the Christmas season!

1 comment:

eva said...

Amen, sister. I spent all day at the mall. I am 1. Exhausted. 2. Furious at most other human beings and 3. Generally apalled at the ridiculous things people will buy as gifts. Case in point: An Angels bottle opener that pipes up with calls from actual games when you crack open an icy Bud. Egad.