I decided to have my camera ready this morning because you never know what you'll see on the roads, (I was hoping for a final elephant sighting) and today is my last day doing the long commute. I was able to get a few good pictures, such as the overturned delivery truck with the wheel popped off on the highway, the traffic jams, etc. I wasn't able to get pics of all the usual stuff: the loaded down taxis used as delivery cars, the rickshaws with more than 5 people, the fuel carts pulled by oxen/cows (I don't know what they are), the sleeping donkeys in the middle of the road, etc.
But, the ride didn't disappoint. I saw a guy walking down the road with dead chickens hanging off a rope around his shoulders. I saw another man going to the bathroom while his pet monkey waited patiently on his leash on the stone wall (no, this is not a euphemism for anything...). And there was a swarm of autorickshaws like bumble bees on the road, with their black and yellow painting, all jumbled together. There were the usual pedestrians playing "frogger" to cross the highways, and we had the requisite "near misses" when I thought a bus was going to jam into the side door that I was leaning against. I saw the loaded down bicycles, with enough goods to fill the back of a pick up truck, that some poor guy had to push down the road to its destination. And there was me, the white girl behind the tinted windows, that attracted "window tappers" like moths to a flame.
All the crazy things...I do have to admit, daily life in the US seems mundane in comparison, but that's ok by me. :)
Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment