Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Costa Rica Review

After 5 weeks (exactly 35 nights) in Costa Rica, I am very happy with my trip.

I achieved all of my goals of: sleeping extraneous amounts, getting in better shape, and coming home with a very bronze shade of skin. Not the most intellectual achievements, mind you, but success nonetheless.

I packed well and used nearly everything except the mosquito net, one of my party tops, and the clothesline. I ditched a few things along the way, lost one tank top in a load of laundry, gave away books, a frisbee and extra suntan lotion to neighbors at my last hotel. I mostly ate on the cheap, with a few $20 meals thrown in for good measure.

I spent time with friends, lots of time alone, went to yoga as regularly as I was able, and went to the places I wanted to go, although I idid have to forfeit the Caribbean side and a view of Arenal volcano for next time.

For me, the highlights of the trip were:
Casa de las Brisas in Manuel Antonio for the wedding; whitewater rafting; seeing baby Olive Ridley turtles hatch on the beach in Nosara; hiking up (to the top!) of a waterfall; and spending two relaxing weeks in Tamarindo where I really settled in, found a fantastic yoga studio, and perfected my tan.

I am only a few hundred dollars (roughly 12% ;) over budget, including the flights, accommodation, food, purchases and excursions. In the end, I am happy I decided to shorten my trip by about 11 days to fly back to London, visit James, go to Scotland for the weekend, see friends and generally freeze my butt off in London. I could have stayed at the beach longer, but I don´t need any more time there at this point. I´m ready to come home for a bit!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hey gal - so...is it correct that you're now calling London "Home"?!?

Cool. Or...shall I say...COLD!

xoxo from sunny NorCal.