Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Finals Days of 2008

I am back In London for 10 days over New Years, and I have had a great time so far. On Monday, James and I had a nice morning lazing about the flat and making Eggs Benedict for breakfast. This was a culinary first for me, and in the category of “now that I know what’s in it, I will order this a lot less often”. Hollandaise sauces varied widely on method and ingredients, but I found one I was happy with (and didn’t require ridiculous amounts of pots and pans or weird ingredients) on Epicuious.com.

I was appalled at how much butter goes in the darn thing, but hey, as I started adding the egg yolks, and then the butter, and then the lemon juice, it did indeed start to taste like hollandaise sauce, so I guess that’s how it’s made! James poached the eggs while I made the sauce, and I have to say, the dish turned out quite well and I definitely have the confidence to make it again for guests or a special occasion.

After doing shopping and errands around Oxford Street in the afternoon, I made a salmon recipe for dinner that my mom made for the first time last week, and it was a hit then and with James. The recipe is here - I highly recommend it! It went really well with the recommended cucumber relish too!

After dinner, we played several hours of Trivial Pursuit, Genius Edition. This was amusing since it is the UK edition and both James and I have only lived in this country a few years. We did quite well though, considering. I won’t gloat about the fact that I won the first game and was ahead on the second when we called it quits, but it is true! :)

On Tuesday we went to see the Darwin exhibit at the Natural History Museum, and after lunch went ice skating! I do like this particular rink as the museum is a striking backdrop and there is a convenient bar right above the rink that serves coffee and mulled wine. James hadn't been for 15 years but he did well and didn't fall once. Both of us bemoaned the crowds though. The rink isn't big enough to really get going with any speed or test out things like how to stop properly. I end up just letting my decreased momentum slow me down and/or purposefully run into the wall!


Tonight we have plans with friends for dinner and drinks in Notting Hill, and then it's 2009! No New Years Resolutions for me this time around, other than enjoy my remaining time traveling and then find a job!

1 comment:

eva said...

I just bookmarked the recipe -- looks delicious!

Happy 2009 to you and James! :)