After round two of presents, it was nearly dinner time. I had been put (mostly) in charge of the 8lb Prime Rib Beef Roast. This is not a cheap piece of meat, and therefore even more important to not screw up or overcook! After 2 hours of marinating with a honey dijon mustard and fresh thyme rub, it cooked for 2 1/4 hours with periodic basting. It came out perfectly Medium to Medium Rare (phew!) and I feel quite accomplished to have had the opportunity and success of cooking such a roast!
I never grew up celebrating "Boxing Day" but it does sound a bit better than the "Day After Christmas" which is what I usually call it, no doubt fueled by all the adverts for Day After Christmas Sales. Anyway, this year I spent every meal out on Boxing Day, visiting with friends and family.
For breakfast, my friend from high school, Eleeza, and I went to Pacific Whey Bakery in Corona Del Mar. With an ocean view and good food, it was the perfect venue to catch up after not seeing each other for, how long? probably about a year and a half or so. I also spotted another high school acquaintance, and good friend of Eleeza's, Rebecca (formerly Shaw), who was there with her toddler and husband.
Then I jetted up to Malibu (about 90 minute drive with no traffic), picking up my friends from the UK--Rich, Andy and Emma--and we ate lunch on the beach at Paradise Cove Cafe. It was literally right on the sand, and the weather was gorgeous - bright blue skies, calm water, and lots of sun. Here is Rich with his Bud Light and me with my Pineapple Mojito!
In the afternoon, I did visit the mall to briefly pick up a few things, and then I took my parents out to Fleming's Steakhouse and Wine Bar in Newport Beach for dinner. This is my favourite steak restaurant, and I get to go about once every 2 years or so. In addition to the excellent quality steaks, they have an extensive (about 100) wines by the glass. You can choose any three wines to make up a flight and you get 2 oz of each one. Here is mine for the night...
I had a Honig Cabernet (Napa), a Two Hands Barossa Shiraz (Australia) and a Educated Guess Cabernet (Napa), the last of which I did try just because of the silly name.
Today it's Saturday and I am posting from LAX as I wait for my flight to London, via Philadelphia. I am hoping for safe travels, and I am looking forward to testing out my new noise-cancelling headphones. I am flying on US Air, not a favourite of mine, but at least I can get some United Miles for it. Au revoir!

No comments:
Post a Comment