Friday, December 12, 2008

Snow in Scotland / London week

After nearly 24 hours of travel time to get door-to-door from my San Jose, Costa Rica hostel to James' flat in London, I got here safe and sound. James was able to be home from work at a reasonable hour on Thursday night, and I had cooked dinner for us for a quiet night in. I then proceeded to sleep 13 hours, waking up on Friday afternoon with a few hours to re-pack for Scotland!

We flew up on separate flights, arriving at the same time, into Glasgow, picked up the rental car and drive to the Glasgow Marriott to spend the night. We met up with Kathy, a friend of James' from Melbourne, her boyfriend and an Irish couple who are friends of theirs, on Saturday morning to drive up towards the snow.

Saturday was a nice long day of driving, beautiful scenery, stopping in pubs, going wine tasting at a wine shop with over 36 wines on offer, having a nice dinner and then heading back out to the local pub. We meandered through Aberfeldy (the village where we stayed) and had a cozy breakfast on Sunday at the B&B.

Also on Sunday, we took a walk/hike up to a waterfall through the snow-covered, and often icy, path. It was so nice to be in a completely different environment from Costa Rica, and to be with James, and it was a lovely weekend.


Back in London, James has been working crazy hours and I've been catching up with friends, shopping and sleeping. Lisa from San Francisco was out here for work so she, Rich and I went to Vinoteca, one of my favourite London wine bars, on Monday night.



I crashed a work dinner on Tuesday night at the One O One Restaurant to see Lisa again and bring along Dylan. Wednesday night I cooked dinner for Lisa, Aiden and James. Tonight James and I have tickets to see Avenue Q and tomorrow night we are going to his work Christmas Party, which should be pretty spectacular as it's held here.

(Here are James and I in costume. It was a fairy tale theme...)


I am having a great time so far, and not really minding the cold, surprisingly! I fly back to California on Monday...

3 comments:

Brett said...

Lisa A. from SF? Say hi for us!

Rachel H. said...

Your dress is gorgeous! Where did you end up getting it?

Christie said...

I got the dress at a store in the UK called Principles. It was on sale, so a good find!