Thursday, September 08, 2005

India's shortbread

Most of the cookies and breads I have been eating in India are rather dry, but I’ve just discovered the Indian equivalent of shortbread. Before taking a bite of the cube that was handed to me, I smelled it, and recognized something…essentially the smell of butter. One bite into it and I experienced the same melt-in –your mouth taste of butter and sugar that you get when eating shortbread or other fat-laden cookies.

This Indian treat is called Mysore Pak and the ingredients are simply flour, sugar, and ghee in approximately a 1:2:2 ratio. It’s like eating a stick of butter….uh, in a good way, not in a bad way. It also reminds me of eating cookie dough before baking it, because it’s so moist, and it’s not actually baked. Instead, you warm the ghee over low heat, and add the flour until dissolved. Then you add the mixture to the sugar over another pot until blended together. The final step is to pour the mixture into a pan that is also coated with ghee. (buttered butter?) and when cool, cut into square and rectangular shapes. I’ve posted a picture on my India > Random Shots link.
I somehow think that a dessert this bad for you should at least have some chocolate in it.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds yummy. Now I want to experiment with making these. If I come up with a chocolate version (which seems totally doable, but what do I know?), maybe I'll send some to you...although it probably wouldn't be very good by the time it arrived.

Anonymous said...

If you get that to work, Liz, please post the details. Meanwhile, I'll cream some butter and sugar, spoon it into a Priority Mail envelope, and send that to Christie. We can compete to find out who can send her the package with the most thoroughly spoiled contents.

Christie said...

I would be THRILLED with a chocolate version - Ghee, Sugar, Flour, AND chocolate. Now we're talking. Let me know how you fare, but please, don't send it to me. :)