Sunday, November 16, 2008

Transition to Tamarindo

I am spending at least the next two nights in Tamarindo, a very popular and very touristy surf location higher up North on the Nicoya Peninsula. After finding it so convenient to have the flexibility of a rental car last week with Rachel, I contemplated getting one of my own for this leg of my trip on the Nicoya Peninsula. But I quickly realised that the $50/day for a small SUV was out of my price range for this portion of my travels, so I reverted to my Costa Rica bus plan.

Getting to Tamarindo this morning was a little bit of an adventure, starting with a 5am wake up, 6 30am departure from Nosara to Nicoya (I drove the rental car with Rachel that far before she continued onto San Jose), then a bus towards Liberia for 90 minutes, changing at Filadelfia after a guy on the bus told me I should get off there and not continue to Liberia, and another 90 minute bus journey to Tamarindo. In all, the two buses cost me less than $4, but they were slow, I wasn't guaranteed a seat (although I did get one on both), and they stopped EVERYwhere. But hey, it's the cheapest and most efficient way to get around.

I disembarked right in front of my hostel in Tamarindo called Blue Azul Surf Camp. I was skeptical about this place when I reserved because it's so cheap, only $10/night for a bunk in a room with 5 other people, a bathroom and a kitchenette. But, it's clean, seems to be in working order, and the people who work there are super nice. When I checked in there was only one other person in my room, but I expect that to change quickly.

Bags dropped, bed made and it was time to get my blood sugar level up, pronto! All I had eaten between 5am and 1pm were one banana, a large handful of nuts and a powerade. I walked down the Tamarindo main street, taking in the modern shops (all newish beach shops remind me of the ones in Laguna Beach), the restaurants out of my self-imposed price range, and of course the beach itself. I found a reasonable deli, ordered a tuna sandwich, and all was right with the world about 15 minutes later after I devoured it and watched the invisible glucose monitor go from empty to full.

(Cloudy view of Tamarindo beach late afternoon on Sunday)


All I've done this afternoon is explore (I found a yoga studio and the grocery store), read on the beach (I'm one third into Shantaram) and talk to James on my Costa Rican cell phone (I'm so glad I got that thing!). I've also found that the Internet cafes here are one third of the price compared to Nosara. I can be online here for $2/hur which means more posts, more pictures, and more time for me to do research for traveling.

Depending on how tomorrow goes, I may extend my stay in Tamarindo past Tuesday. I have no fixed plans except for my departure date, which has moved up from December 16to December 3. I found a great price on a ticket from Costa Rica to LAX via an 11stopover in London. I will get to see James, go to Scotland for the week with him and some friends, and also attend his office Christmas party. I'm really looking forward to it, and not really feeling like I needed more time in Costa Rica, since I don't have any more visitors. The next 2.5 weeks on my own should be quite enough alone time for now!

The only thing I absolutely want to do is go to La Fortuna and attempt to see the volcano at Arenal. It's hit or miss with the weather there, and often clouds can obscure the view. From what I've heard from those who have seen it, it is definitely worth it! Otherwise, I may spend a day or two in Monteverde, or I may just be a beach bum along with the rest of the Nicoya tourists for the next two weeks.

2 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Hey there! Costa Rica already feels like a lifetime ago, sadly. Hope the yoga studio you found is good. I'm looking forward to see where you head next! :)

lac_14 said...

Just checked out your surfing pics! None of you getting up though? Sounds fun. How is the scene / nightlife in Tamarindo?