Friday, January 05, 2007

This year I will....

One week into the new year, it's time for the inevitable post about my new years resolutions. But first, let's revisit last year's commitments.

Last year, rather than eschew the new years resolution tradition in the same way most guys try to get out of buying anything for Valentine's Day, I embraced the challenge. Here is the list and how I actually did against my goals (they were divided into 'more' and 'less' categories):

More
1. Flossing
[abandoned said goal by mid-Janury. And I just paid out of pocket to have two cavities filled at Christmas this year. Serves me right.]
2. Exercise (including running, skiing, hiking, and gym classes)
[I did this relatively well until about the time I decided to move to London and stress/partying overcame my workout schedule]
3. Travel
[CHECK! Um, hello, I moved across the world and have been to 7 countries outside the U.S. in 2006]
4. Savings (for a house, my next car, traveling, etc)
[I laugh at this now. I mean, yes, I have been saving, but the house part seems elusive, the car part is now unnecessary, and the traveling? Well I think I was spending it before I could save it]
5. Checking books out of a library instead of buying them (first I have to JOIN a library)
[Yeah, um....this one never happened]
6. Learning French
[Check! enrolled in two Alliance Francaise courses in SF and went to Paris to practice it]
7. Learning about wine
[Drinking counts right?]
8. Organizing group events amongst my friends - parties, weekend trips, dinners, etc.
[CHECK! I think my friends and colleauges now miss my event planning skills more than they actually miss me. Tahoe, wine tasting in Napa, dinner parties at my house, work drinks, music festivals, hiking - what didn't we do?!]

Less
1. Spening money on "things"
[This was going very well until this past Christmas when I shamelessly splurged on clothes, cosmetics, kitchen supplies and presents]
2. Time worrying about how I will someday afford a house I am proud to call home
[Yeah, I still worry about this]

Well, kids, what does this teach us? ....Bueller?
I basically exceled at the 'fun' ones and did so-so at the 'responsible' ones, which is really no different than how we tend to live our lives anyway, right?

This year, with fond acceptance of the resolution tradition, I will commit to working out more, getting more rest, and generally living a healthier lifestyle (the first two are basically to counteract the lifestyle that I want to lead).

Anyone else have resolutions to share?

2 comments:

Kate said...

It has been too long since I read your blog. Kudos for KEEPING IT GOING! We miss you - not just for your planning skills, but for the fun of having you around.
Oh, and don't fret too much about saving for a house. When I was 26, I had 6-figures saved (all in tech stock). When I was 28, it was worth $20k. Ouch. So enjoy your $. Sure, save...but you'll be fine. :) Miss you! - K

Christie said...

Well I've been in the UK for 3 months, and I STILL haven't met the man of my dreams (who will incidentally own a castle, that's important) - so I guess I'll just
have to keep saving. :)

I miss you guys too!