I found out yesterday that our landlord is planning to sell the flat I live in and will not be renewing the lease on March 2. Oh well. I am kind of glad in a way. I do like my flat, but there is always room for improvement and I would have just renewed for another year anyway for the sole reason of not wanting the hassle of moving. At least now I have the opportunity to give another neighborhood a try.
So now I have a project. And I have options. This is a good distraction for me right now, as I've had a bumpy start to the new year and have declared today as the January 2 of the Christie calendar (January 1 wouldn't work because then I'd be hung over and in still bed). Every move is a fresh start, whether it's a new flat, a new town, a new job, or even a new country. And change is good. Even small changes are an opportunity to reinvent and redefine some aspect of yourself - this is part of why girls like to change their hairstyle. (It's true!)
Responding to change also provides a satisfying, if sometimes false, sense of control over your own life. Yes, I did not choose to move out in March. But now I am in charge of deciding what I will change next time and where I will move to. It feeds the organisational side of my personality (for those of you who have known me for awhile, can't you just SEE the spreadsheets being designed to plan out this effort?)
I am still in the reflective new years spirit as well, so I am wondering what London has to offer me in 2007. Just as quickly as good things can happen, they can also disappear; and just as sudden as problems arise, they can be solved - and I have an entire year ahead of enjoying that ride. I'm trying to be ready for it, but to be honest, I am still so tired. I have so much I want to do, and even more that I have to do, but right now it all just makes me want to go home and take a nap.
Monday, January 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment