I don't know why it took me so long (a week or so) to realise this, but I'm going through one of my normal cycles of feeling homesick. Tonight I've cried three times, but don't worry, I feel fine. I'm not even particularly upset. I'm just overly sensitive to the stories on TV dramas (can you believe that I cried at the end of Ally McBeal AND Boston Legal?!) and then I started to read one of my best friend's blog entries about her recent experience giving birth. I don't know why *that* made me start to cry, but it did. It's hard to be far away, feeling like I'm missing out on major events. It also makes me wonder if I'll be that far away from everyone when those major events are mine. Of course, over time, some of the most important people in my life will, I hope, be here, as I develop friendships and relationships in London. But for right now, this week in particular, I miss everyone back home.
I saw my English friend in San Francisco go through similar waves of loving where she was, and then terribly missing everyone back home. I know it's normal, and I know it's ok. But I'm going to let myself be a little bit sad tonight; maybe tomorrow night too.
On a related note, I've already booked my Thanksgiving ticket to Boston. Yes, 10 months away I know exactly where I'll be, enjoying a proper Turkey and trimmings Thanksgiving meal with other Americans. This year was fine, but not quite the same. There's something about having a Thursday off from work, seeing the Macy's parade, and maybe even being ambitious the next day to shove through the crowds on the biggest shopping day of the year.
And aren't there lots of football games on that weekend? I seem to remember football + Thanksgiving. I obviously am not too attached to the game, otherwise I'd know for sure, but it's all part of the experience. Man, what I wouldn't give for a Super Bowl party. [Actually, I am going to one, but a few weeks delayed. A few Americans I know are hosting a proper Super Bowl party and BBQ with the taped game] Anyway, my spirits are up just thinking about it!
[On Tuesday night, I watched a new episode of the O.C. And would you believe that I cried within the first 10 minutes of that?! My little cry lasted all of 30 seconds, and it was because of a scene where Seth flies out to visit Summer at Brown University. ANYway, embarrassing to admit; well, at least it would be for someone else].
Monday, January 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I still get homesick for California sometimes, and it's been 4.5 years and I'm not even in another country. You're right about calling it a normal cycle. Let yourself be sad for a bit, and then get out and do something fun there that you wouldn't be able to do in the States. And then count down until April when you will be here. We can take the baby down to Tidal Basin to see the cherry blossoms.
Post a Comment