Saturday, December 30, 2006

Holidays at home

I've been a neglectful poster the past few weeks, logging into my blog only to link to other people's to see what interesting things they are doing or writing about. As a complete surprise after months (it seems) of quiet, Jeff has finally posted something!

My time in California is over and the one week flew by quickly. I only had three main activities - shop, sleep, and hang out with family. The sleep was all the more important since I have been really sick since 24 December. My purchases were of three types: cosmetics, clothes, and kitchen stuff. Yes, I dragged pots and pans (and 4 bottles of wine) back to London with me, with each of my large bags at the 70lb weight limit (still had to pay $25 extra a bag, but as far as shipping goes, that's a steal).

It was really nice to see the family and have that grounding after my just 2-3 months in London so far. The sad part is the thought that I may have seen my family dog or my grandmother for the last time. Neither are on their last legs per se, but they are both elderly and my next trip home isn't until next September. (And if anyone finds the comparison between my grandmother and my dog strange, well, then you've never met my dog; or rather, you've never seen how my family treats my dog. She's a 'dog person' as we like to say).

There wasn't much reverse culture shock for me at home this year. Last year when I came back to the United States on 14 December 2005 after 6 months in India, the differences between the Western and non-Western cultures were immediately apparent (and often welcome!). I was so happy to be home in San Francisco and I integrated into a normal U.S. routine quicky. That is, until I got bored of said routine and decided to move to London. Now, after 3 months outside the U.S., I came back and things felt like 'home' but in a 'this is where I grew up' kind of way. I didn't feel 'this is where I live' but neither am I completely settled in London. It's a bit odd, actually, to feel like you have one foot in each country.

Now I am back in London, all the pots and pans are put away, and I have 4 more days off work, but am feeling like my holiday was stolen from me because of being sick. It's really disappointing, and I was sick last year at Christmas too. This really just indicates that I work too hard, I'm sure.

My friend Bernard is here from Irvine visiting for a week, so I will get out of the house and do touristy things, even though a few days lounging around and cooking is more what I feel like doing. Ah well - maybe I will finally get more pictures of London now.

No comments: