Goodbye fog and hello spring! (Well, at least until "summer"). Overall I had a great weekend, but the highlight was definitely the beautiful warm weather and clear skies on Sunday. Friday night I stayed in to mope about the fog and the cold and watch a French film. Saturday morning I motivated myself to go to the Farmer's Market with a friend and get breakfast. I discovered a vegetable called "green garlic" which is basically the young garlic stalk before the bulb starts to form. Each stalk looks like an oversized green scallion. Seriously, these things are 3 feet long. They have the consistently of a scallion, with the scent and flavor of garlic - does it get any better than this?! I was so excited about this that I even made phone calls to share the news and advise other people to hunt down the same. I have many plans for this vegetable, including mixing with fromage blanc for a spread, adding to scrambled eggs, and sauteeing with vegetables.
Saturday afternoon I joined another group of friends for Vietnamese/French food on Clement and 2nd at Le Soleil. Afterwards, we perused and purchased several books from Green Apple books, providing each other with recommendations, and then had dessert at a small shop on the way back to our cars. I had a nutella and marshmellow crepe. Yes, my teeth hurt from the sugar, but it tasted good, oh so good. The weather on Saturday was cold and foggy, so arriving home at 5pm, I had no intention on making it back out for the evening. Convinced otherwise by some girlfriends who wouldn't put up with my reclusiveness, I ended up having a girls night out at Amarena restaurant in Russian Hill.
Sunday morning I woke up slowly, bringing cups of coffee back to bed with me while I read my Paris book. I made a list of errands and chores to catch up on, but most of them did not get done after I realized how nice the weather was finally going to be. I did finally get into spring cleaning mode, and cleared out our back shed, put furniture out for goodwill, cleaned out a dorm fridge we had been storing for my brother and I am now going to put on Craigslist, defrosted our own dorm size beer fridge, and took down burned out lights in the backyard. All very productive and all done by 1pm. Next I went for a much needed jog down to Crissy Field. Everyone was out, and it was warm, sunny, and absolutely gorgeous. After showering and changing, my roommates and I went down to the 21st Amendment for beers and food with the post-Giants game crowd.
Great weekend, and I am SO not ready to start the work week. I'm in vacation mode, and still excited about Paris!
Sunday, April 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment