Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Small victories
One of the things I’ve had a hard time getting used to here is walking on the wrong side of the pathway. Since everyone drives on the left side of the road, they naturally walk on the left side as well. That means that I’m always running into people. I’ve made an effort to consciously “walk left” but generally end up mentally chastising myself when I end up having to switch sides of the hallway. Today though, I NATURALLY walked left! And the funny thing is, in my head, I thought, dammit, I’m still screwing it up, when really, I probably thought that because of my recent trip home and being used to walking right. Anyway, this greatly amused me and made me proud to have adapted to yet another oddity in India.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You crack me up! Smuggling in wine, and flirting with the poor unsuspecting young Indian (who was taken aback to be spoken to by a white woman) - just to have a backup plan! Obviously you were meant to be at Accenture. ;-)
Was great to see you last week and sounds like your bday was great... now just be careful walking so you don't give yourself a headache!
Post a Comment