I arrived at my hotel room last night to a pleasant surprise. Well, first let me preface this by saying that I arrived at my hotel tired, cranky, hungry, and physically sore from sitting on a plane for 19 of the past 24 hours. I also had to tell 4 or 5 bellhops that I wanted to keep my bags with me, despite their supposed customer service of trying to deliver the bags to my room.
I had already smuggled some extra items through customs, and I wasn't about to let my bags out of my sight until I had a chance to open them in my room and make sure that everything was "there". If this sounds paranoid, it's because one of my coworker's on his first flight to India had clothes and other items stolen from his bag. I didn't want to have to admit that the bags had ever left my sight other than when they were checked. ANYWAY.....Here's the good news:
I get up to the room, I open the closet, and lo and behold, there was....you guessed it--an ironing board! For those of you who have followed my blog from the beginning, you know how important this is to me. Even though I'm only in this particular hotel for one week before moving to yet another hotel, it still made me smile and made me feel like, that's right! I'M not the crazy one. It's NOT weird to have an ironing board and iron in your room, EVEN in India. Ok, now that I reread this, I do sound like a crazy person. And in a way, I am. India makes me absolutely crazy about certain odd topics, one of them being ironing boards.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What were you smuggling in?
A half-dozen ironing boards.
I was wondering who would ask! I brought back 4 bottles of really yummy red wine from the US to share with people here, but the customs limit is 2 liters of alcohol. I think I got away with it because the customs guy wasn't really paying attention, but I had several backup plans. 1. I had two bottles in each bag, so, each bag met customs, it was just that I had TWO bags, so if they just look at one bag at a time, and don't notice that they are both mine, well... 2. I was all ready to just bribe the customs guy to let me pass, 3. I sat next to an Indian guy on the flight who was about my age. He said that if he saw me getting hassled by the customs guy, he'd come over and argue with him for me.
Post a Comment