Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The migration is booked

With mixed emotions, I have finally booked my one way ticket back to the US for later in September. I will be flying to Boston on September 20 laden with my full suitcase/weight allowance for an international ticket plus a likely purchased 4th suitcase allotment. In Boston, I will stay with Brea for a week, and then head up to NYC for my birthday weekend with many of my close (and mobile) friends, and then continuing on to California on September 30.

I made this decision about a month ago, and I am still unsure of how permanent it will be, but I will try to both be positive about the opportunities it will bring and to keep my heart open to all my options as they reveal themselves to me. The short term plan will be to stay with the folks in Irvine as my base, and to spend quite a bit of time (i.e. many weekends and some weeks) with friends in San Francisco. Depending on my specific work situation, I may not need to have a proper home for a little while yet and I hope to remain mobile enough to fly around and see friends and family on weekends.

A longer work update will come when I have actually started working, but I have a few options in the mix. I am focusing on the contract route for now, doing Information Security consulting and project management, although my location is negotiable depending on the circumstances.

I have already started getting rid of things here in the UK, and the aforementioned trip to the car boot sale on Sunday was a significant step in that direction. (It also was my first income since my last check from my employer in January!) I am being resilient in not buying ANYthing else at the moment, and I am analyzing everything from my toiletries to my kitchen cupboard, deciding on what to use up, or just throw away. I am researching zipcar, US health insurance plans, and international shipping companies. I am using up my prepaid yoga classes, and I have designs on my final case of wine that just arrived today, which I purchased with all my remaining wine credit from the Virgin Wine Club.

I will be back stateside in less than a month. Get ready everyone! We have a lot of catching up to do, over several bottles of wine....

3 comments:

Brett said...

looking forward to having you on the same continent!

Frank Bresz said...

Definitely will make a point to see you in NYC. Have a great journey.

Kate said...

Yay! I know you're coming back with mixed emotions, but at least some of them better be happy-and-I-wanna-meet-Kate's-family emotions. :)
BTW, I was wine-tasting yesterday in Healdsburg (Sonoma Co) & a friend-of-a-friend who's a Cellarmaster there gave me a big scoop and tips on how to get into their industry, and so I'll hook y'all up via email shortly.
Oh, and we'll have a 4 BR/2BA place here soon enough, so you'll be able to couch-surf with us here if you want when you're in town, too.
:) xoxo
K
Looking fwd to seeing you again! :)