On Saturday night, Victoria and I hosted my friends Eve and Charley, and we enjoyed BBQ'ing veggie skewers with a garlic-lemon glaze and lamb skewers that had been marinating in a yogurt, onion, lemon juice and cumin sauce all day. I made two desserts, as they were both experimental. The first, a lemon mousse, had fantastic flavour but somehow wasn't as moussy as planned, and was a bit too liquidy. The second, honeydew served with a chilled ginger and lemon syrup, I really enjoyed, but I think the English guests thought it was a bit odd. Even (also American) agreed that it is probably more of a California-style dessert than the English are used to with their heavy puddings ;)
We were able to sit outside all night, keeping ourselves warm at the end by huddling around the charcoal BBQ and roasted mini marshmallows! The Londoners left to get their trains home at 10:30pm and Victoria and I wandered next door to our neighbours house, who were having a BBQ/party. We benefited from their sound system and varied music taste all evening, and it was enjoyable to get to know them a bit better, as there are 4 people living there, all in their early 20s.
On Sunday, we were up earlyish (10am, everything's relative) to a breakfast of blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs before we head out to a "car boot" sale in nearby Hatfield. Basically, it is a swap meet, all items have to be used, and you just drive up, pay 10 quid for your "pitch", unpack and sell to locals roaming around from 11:30am - 4pm. Victoria had loads of stuff she inherited in the house purchase last year, and I had a fair amount of things to get rid of before moving, so off we went, bargaining and haggling, and making over 50 GBP each for the day! Now I don't have to go to the ATM this week, nor do I have to worry about how to get rid of the things that are not worth shipping, storing, or packing. Brilliant!
It is a hot day, so now that we are back and the kitchen is cleaned, we are enjoying glasses of wine, sitting outside on the patio and chilling out at home tonight. It has been a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment