Sunday, July 06, 2008

Saturday in Islington and Soho

Yesterday I spent the day in Islington for a hair cut and just general browsing around, which included me buying some wine books, having a late lunch of fresh tacos by Mucho Mas at a food festival on Islington Green, and trying on lots of clothes on sale at Reiss (but thankfully for the budget, not buying anything).

I felt like I needed to just sit still for awhile before navigating the bus system to get into Soho, so I enjoyed a cup of tea and a few chapters of my current library book, The Greek for Love, while relaxing at Tinderbox Espresso Emporium on Upper Street in Islington. Since I've more or less weaned myself off caffeine, tea is all I allow myself at times like that unless coffee is the only drink available. Tinderbox was quite cool - several seats appear to be old first class leather airlines seats, they played trendy background music, and I wasn't the only one sitting alone, enjoying my own thoughts in an internal world.

I was impressed by the bus connections to all over Central London from Islington, and I easily figured out which bus to board. Unfortunately, I didn't so easily notice my stop at Tottenham Court Road, and by the time I was past Leicester Square and nearly at Piccadilly Circus, I knew I had to turn back. Oh well, disembark, cross the road, re-board and I was on my way again. Laden down with Kylie's present (which including a heavy bottle of Bollinger), my shopping, and a jacket, umbrella, etc. I probably looked a bit funny walking around dressed for a formal night out, but wearing flat black semi-trainers instead of heels, and toting a beach bag over my shoulder.

Once I found Charlotte Street, I admired all the cute shops and bars and wondered why I hadn't seen this part of Central London before! I tucked down an alley to change shoes, and waltzed into the bar with the confidence of someone who wears ridiculous shoes like that all the time. The venue was the Charlotte Street Hotel and when I arrived at 8pm, there was already a group of 10+ people in Kylie's birthday group, some of whom I already knew.

I promptly ordered a glass of Pommery, sat myself on a short circular cushioned stool and started chatting, admiring the decor at breaks in the conversation. In the end, I had two glasses of Pommery, 4 rock oysters, a scallop and endive salad, and two glasses of Sauvignon Touraine. The food and wine were fantastic, Kylie was in high spirits, and the overall evening was really enjoyable. I was home at a reasonable 12:30am, and ruefully thought that I will miss splurges like last night next year.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Wait - I just realized - where/how will you get your hair cut/done when you're on your year-off? Do tell! :) K

Christie said...

Of course you knew I had this figured out already! ;)

Well, I'm getting a cut/colour in London at the end of September before my parents arrive, and then I'll hold out until Christmas for the next cut. After that....looks like I'll have to get it done in New Zealand!

I typically get a cut every 10 weeks, and a cut+highlights every 5months. I'm planning on keeping my short haircut as it's really convenient for warm weather and pretty easy to style, even while traveling.