Saturday, July 05, 2008

Flakiness

Earlier this week I was a bit disorganised when the left the house on Monday morning to travel to Northampton. I wasn't in a rush - in fact, I took two hours to get ready and pack - but I had a nagging feeling when I was walking down the street that I hadn't done something right.

Did I leave my hair straightener on? No, that's packed and has an auto shut-off anyway....
Did I leave the windows open? Nope. I remember I checked them all earlier.
Did I close the front door? --- Did I? Hm....

Nearly at the Wimbledon station, I contemplated the likelihood of me actually not closing the front door. It must be in that category of things-that-you-always-do-even-though-you-don't realise-you-have, right? I also calculated the implications of having left it open. It wouldn't have been wide open, just leaning against the latch. And my flat door isn't visible from the street. Only my two other neighbors on my level would possibly notice. And the cleaning lady is coming the next day, so she'd at least close it afterwards. But, there is construction going on in one of those flats so...back to the flat I went, suitcase trailing behind me, already late for work and now going the wrong way on my commute.

When I got back to the flat, a construction worker was carrying a retro sea foam blue coloured toilet out of the neighboring flat and sure enough, my door was open. Sigh. At least my trip back wasn't for nothing. But seriously, why I didn't close the door?

****

I am fortunate enough to have a nice set of diamond jewelry and I tend to wear most of them everyday. I have a pair of round cut stud earrings, a two-diamond pendant, a diamond bracelet from India, and my most recent addition, a half eternity diamond ring that I rewarded myself with for promotion to Manager.

The earrings I leave in all day and night for most of the week, so I usually forget I'm wearing them. I often wear the pendant on a gold chain most of the week, sometimes switching between two chains of different length. Both the earrings and necklace stay on when I'm in the shower and when I'm asleep. I also wear the ring every day, but take it off at night and to shower and the bracelet I wear the least often, if only because it has a clasp that tends to snag on clothes. After a recent snag, I leave the bracelet at home to be grounded because it's been naughty. I know it doesn't care, but I still feel it deserves to be shunned from time to time for pulling a thread out of a nicely knit skirt, for example.

So this week, while I was up in Northampton, I remember thinking - where did I put my diamond necklace? I didn't wear it this week, but I was surely wearing it on Sunday when I went to church and had Charley over for dinner. It wasn't in the usual place on Monday morning, but hm, I'm sure I'll find it when I get back on Thursday night. It must be in the flat. Where could it have gone?...

Thursday night rolls around and I'm back from a day in offices in Northampton and London, including a social outing for work. It's 9pm, I've had a few glasses of wine, and I don't see my diamond necklace in the jewelry box, or in the ashtray from Greece that I use for the ring and bracelet, or next to my bed, or in the bathroom. I must have taken it off somewhere, but where? Of course I think, what if the cleaning lady took it, or what if it fell off when I was in London last Sunday, how am I going to replace it (I don't have insurance and it was a gift from my grandmother), etc. I figure I've looked everywhere for now, and I have Season 3 - Final Episode(s) of Lost to watch on DVD, so I'll try to stop worrying about it...

As I'm watching LOST and they are preparing to ambush the Others on the beach with dynamite that Rousseau has been carrying from the Black Rock, I suddenly remember a dream I had at some point during the week (I thought Monday or so) that I was being choked or strangled or something like that. I don't usually have nightmares or scary dreams, and I don't remember being afraid of this one, but maybe I've just been watching too much LOST the last few weeks and I think the Others are going to capture me in my sleep.

I suddenly put two and two together and run into the bedroom, fling the duvet off the bed and sure enough, there my little pendant is sparkling up at me, almost smiling like I just found it after a game of hide and seek. I put it safely in the cobalt blue-bottomed ashtray and look around the bed frame for the chain. Still can't find it. It only occurs to me later to check under the mattress, and yes, there it is, probably broken although I can't tell because as I tried to reach it, it fell between the cracks and now rests comfortably on the carpet between my headboard and the wall. It's still there now, behind me on the floor as I type this. I suppose I could reach around and get it, but I like to think that it's being punished too - both for making me have a bad dream and for making me worry so about where the necklace was.

There is no logic to my concept of my relationship with my jewelry, but at least they are easier to keep alive than pets or plants. And, at least I found the necklace this time. I'm sure I'll be better about taking it off before I go to bed in the future.

1 comment:

brea said...

I enjoyed reading this. Nice job. Does this mean you have finally seen the end of season 3? Can I finally talk about it with you?