I don't know how long this link will be active, but it's an intro to the BBC special I watched tonight about Scientology and the reporter's experience investigating it. As someone who has a strong faith of my own, I would never want my beliefs portrayed in this way. However, most faiths that I am familiar with would be happy to share the basis of their own beliefs, even if other people disagree or find them a bit, well, crazy or unbelievable.
What bothers me about Scientology is the secrecy. I looked around on their website, and there is plenty of rhetoric about man, and the soul/mind/body and the purification program and the levels of clarity (a la Buddhism), but they never get to the core of their belief. Why do they believe what they do? And why is money such an integral component to increasing in stature in the church? It's bizarre to say the least. I am not one to criticise the value of faith, but it's fair to ask what the components of the faith are.
Even suicide bombers, who have taken their own version of faith and interpretation of religion to an extreme are clear about their goals and what they are after. Maybe my hesitation about Scientology is simply the 'unknown', but I think it's fair to question the systematic hiding, despite some of the positive contributions scientologists do make.
Monday, May 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment