Monday, May 21, 2007

In retrospect...

I just reread this post of mine from May 2006:
Well, while it's not as much of an adventure as India was, it sure seemed like it took just as long to pack for 8 days in London/Paris. Oh well. Now I'm ready to go, and leaving for the airport in the next hour - woo hoo! Having a regular work schedule (decent hours, local client) the last 5 months, I thought, I don't *need* a vacation. Well, I was wrong. I've realized in the past few days that I do need to get out of the country, and not just cause I'm antsy. We'll see if the time away inspires any epiphanies. The last trip like this (a nine day trip to Costa Rica) resulted in me deciding to leave my job. I definitely don't foresee that coming down the pipe anytime soon, but you never know what I might realize was missing from my life the moment I step away from it...
This is practically to-the-day, one year ago. And as you will remember, I came back from that trip deciding to move within San Francisco, and within another two weeks, had decided to move to London.

I've thought about this a lot lately, because everyone invariably asks why I decided to move here. All my answers are socially acceptable and easily digestible for people who might not understand the draw of a place with high prices and poor weather. But in the end, I didn't *really* have a specific reason. I was just bored, and I made it happen.

The transition over the past 8 months hasn't always been easy, but it's always been worth it. I don't think I'm ready to move cities again anytime soon, but a desire for another adventure probably isn't too far around the corner...I'm happy where I am though, and I'm also happy not knowing where I'll be next year, or the year after.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Want a real adventure? Try a 7 lb, 9 oz version! (I'm not saying it's a GOOD adventure...but a lot of people try it) OK - I'll stop being cynical now and say that I miss you & we can't wait to see you in Aug! :) K