Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Inspired Dinner


After eating so well for four days in France, I was inspired to cook something simple, yet delicious. What I ended up making came out better than expected. The soup is a curried carrot soup which is actually very easy to make. I overcooked the onions a bit whilst sauteing, but it's still yummy. The salad is baby greens with roasted salmon (simply salt/pepper on the salmon). The dressing is a mix of lemon zest, diced prunes, roasted pine nuts, lemon juice and olive oil. All topped with tomatoes and pomegranate seeds. I was a bit worried that I was overdoing it with the ingredients, but the sweet pomegranate and prunes complement the tartness of the lemon quite well. The oily salmon absorbs it all, with the tomatoes and pine nuts providing texture and variety.
The wine is a Red Burgundy I picked up from Tesco's on a whim several months ago. I remember it being somewhere around £6. It's main aroma is ripe cherries, and it's light- to medium-bodied, with a gentle lingering finish. It complements the salmon salad excellently, although the curried soup could use a zinfandel or something else more robust to keep the spices in line.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Gorgeous, my dear (I meant Nice, not your dinner)
...kidding! Both look fab. But whazzup w/this "whilst"? You comin' back to Cali w/a snooty Brit accent? ;-)
OK, feel free, assuming you bring those awesome culinary skills with you. Hugs!