Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Turkey Day in London

Oddly enough, this isn't my first Thanksgiving in London. This year though, I live here, and I'm working, and well, it just doesn't seem like much of a holiday. I kept forgetting it was even this week until I talked to my parents over the weekend. My meagre attempt at celebrating has involved eating a turkey and cranberry sandwich for lunch yesterday and watching my manager eat his Thanksgiving set menu at dinner last night while I had halibut at Axis retaurant.

I do hope to have something more exciting to say after Thursday night, when I am joining a group of 16 James Madison University students who are studying abroad along with their alumni hosts (one of whom is a friend of mine) here in London. It's a Thanksgiving potluck, and I am bringing two bottles of wine and a dessert (to be determined based on what Waitrose has in their bakery tomorrow, which reminds me - I should probably go first thing in the morning. I can't be the only American relying on this as a backup plan). I'm keeping my expectations low since I won't know anyone or what food will be there, but I am self-sufficient. I can always sit in the corner with a glass of Pinot Noir and a slice of pie!

[Update]:
Thanksgiving with the students was fun! I didn't properly meet most of them, but we all chatted and joked around. I spent most of the evening chatting with my friend Eve and her friends Tara and Chris who run the house (like a mini-residence hall) where the students stay each semester. There were 25 of us in all, including 2 large turkeys! There was just about every side dish you could imagine, and I ate two plates of food, still leaving room for dessert. For dessert there was homemade pumpkin pie, apple pie and apple/blackberry pie (my purchases from Waitrose), Christmas pudding (some English thing), ice cream, whipped cream and various other cakes. Even though I would have loved to have been home with family, I don't think I've ever had such a big selection of yummy dishes on Thanksgiving before.

No comments: