I've had my own version of retail therapy, but I'm celebrating something else - namely, the fact that I have a functioning bank account and I can now spend GBP and not USD. Plus, I realize how practical I really was with everything I moved out here. I brought all the basics (which did completely fill my two suitcases), but I don't have that many 'fun' clothes, nor do I really have enough suits, nice shoes, and other dressier work outfits. I am realizing just how casual the California culture really is...
I've never *had* to wear suits for a client, despite my years of consulting. In India I was spolied by having the 'opportunity' to work in 30 degree celsius (that's hot) weather where jeweled flip-flops and the Indian version of baggy pajamas was acceptable work wear. After 6 months of that, I went back to the San Francisco Bay Area for 8 months where khakis and Gap striped work shirts were dressy enough for my Bay Area clients. Now I'm in London, working at a financial instituion, and today, wearing Kenneth Cole Reaction leather flats, gray/pink plaid wool Limited trousers and a pale pink Banana Republic button-up shirt (sans blazer), I feel very underdressed.
Today at lunch I went shopping for the first time in the mall connecting all the Canary Wharf office buildings and the tube stations. I bought a pair of hot pink silk knot cuff links from T. M. Lewin (I only have one shirt right now that requires cuff links, and of course, I actually forgot to bring my pair from the States). At Next, I bought a gold silky top for the holidays and some costume jewelry to coordinate. I also splurged on a poofy white/gray scarf that I don't *need* but I really want. It's only the first week of November, and I am already wearing gloves and scarves (decorative or for warmth) every day. I'm going to get tired of my functional pieces really fast, but I will say that I am glad to have my cashmere-lined leather gloves and my cashmere and wool scarves (thanks to previous years of Christmas presents :)
I am also planning to really do some shopping this weekend (I say that every weekend but end up wanting to relax). I need lamps for my room, a duvet cover, fresh sheets, better pillows, etc. I am really trying to hold out and buy most things in the States where they are much cheaper, but some things can't wait. And besides, pillows would be a really silly thing to waste baggage space on. This weekend, I'm planning on going to John Lewis, Argos, and maybe Marks & Spencer.
Thursday, November 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment