I tried to post last week about the process of moving out of my house, selling my car on the same day, and driving solo down the state to my parent's house to drop stuff off, but I just didn't have the energy for it, and everything I drafted resonated in a negative or bitter tone. For such an exciting time in my life, I just didn't want that documented. This past weeek and weekend I've been going out every night, seeing good friends and enjoying good food, but whenever the topic came up about "when am I leaving?" I would get grumpy. I know people are asking about it because they care about me or are at least just being polite, but explaining (and sometimes re-explaining to people who weren't listening the first time, something I already have a low tolerance for) about the process of getting the work permit and then applying and waiting for the visa before I leave the US would only reinforce the stress I was feeling about NOT having it yet. The unknown of, not if, but when I would leave was really getting to me. After a few drinks, you may not have been able to tell, but I was very frustrated with this whole process.
I rolled off my project on Friday, and the plan for this week is to write reviews for direct reports, back up my files, and otherwise shut down my life here. I woke up this morning, checked my email and - voila! - my work permit has been approved! There is a xerox copy of it in my email inbox as we speak, and it will be in the mail to San Francisco tomorrow. YAY!!! I also found out that my visa will be approved same day when I go to the Los Angeles British Consulate in person; I have an apppointment for Tuesday. The only (very minor) glitch is that my flight was Tuesday night at 6pm - no way to make it same day, and also too stressful to cut it so short. So, now I'm departing on Wednesday, and the change fees were palatable.
For all of you who put up with my grumblings about sticking around longer than planned, don't take it personally. I'm just excited to embark on this new adventure! Now that I'm without car, apartment, and furniture, it's easier to be ready to take off for the UK. I will post more as plans progress. Now I can finally start to make my vacation travel plans for the second half of September before I start work on October 2.
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hooray! Very happy for you!
well, at least you told me "i don't want to talk about it" when i asked you :) i understand! even when i make ready for a long trip, things are stressful before leaving (that's the reason i was sick the whole time i was in japan - b/c of the stress-induced cold i contracted before i left!) can't imagine how much more nuts it would be trying to leave to the extent that you're leaving.
godspeed, christie!
So glad to hear that you're all set! Congrats =)
We're gonna miss you!!!!
Post a Comment