Thursday, March 02, 2006

homecooked goodness

I'm not saying I'm the best chef ever, but I LOVE eating homecooked food for lunch at the office. There is something so satisfying knowing that I made it, and most importantly, that I know exactly what went into it. No preservatives, or salt, or fat, or whatever! I just finished my leftover soup from Sunday night - tomato, fennel, and white bean soup with celery, onions, garlic, and herbs. So good! For lunch later I will have chicken cooked in a wine herb sauce with brown rice and my early dinner before my French class will be (mostly) vegetarian chili (I put 1/2 lb of lean beef in the whole pot, just to give it some more flavor/texture).

I cook for a variety of reasons: to save money, to eat healthier, and to entertain friends. The constraints are usually time and traveling, both of which don't get in my way too much at the moment. It's also the closest I get to doing anything creative. I still generally follow recipes, but I have the confidence now to add or leave out ingredients, combine recipes, modify them, etc. Moral of the story - cooking is fun!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been using crumbled tempeh to give vegetarian chili more texture and whole protein. I know you're not actually vegetarian, but thought you might be interested to know that it works quite well.

Christie said...

Thanks for the tip! I might try it next time. This will sound weird for anyone reading who's not vegetarian, but when I start eating meat more often (as I did this week for an experiment) I don't like how I smell. Yes, eating meat makes you smell different, and not in a good way after you are used to smelling like a vegetarian. Time to cut back on the meat intake - didn't do much for me this week and I had to fight being grossed out by the chicken each time I ate it (3 separate times). Sigh.

Elizabeth said...

I've heard that vegetarian women taste different too.