In case you didn't see the red and pink aisle at Walgreen's lately or the commericals for cheesy diamond flakes and yellow gold concoctions at Zales Jewelers, it's Valentine's Day. Last year I had a terrible Valentine's Day due to a recent breakup, so this year I'm just happy to not be upset over someone (small victories). I've received the requisite anti-valentine's day emails from my girlfriends, and the one Valentine's Day card from my parents (which I do appreciate; because if your parents won't send you a Valentine's Day card...), but other than that, it's uneventful so far.
I'd like to pretend that I actually do hate Valentine's Day, but thinking back to elementary school, I remember how much fun it was to make Valentine's Day cards and then decide which boys you would give an extra one to, what you would write on it, etc. I'm sure everyone has Valentine's Day stories to share where they didn't get the card from the person they liked, (hey, that happened to me too), but overall, it's not as much of a crap holiday as a lot of us single folks make it out to be.
However, having said that, I DO take issue with all the hype around Valentine's Day, because really, the commercialization makes it hard for anyone to top your (ok, girls') expectations. I'm not saying I'd turn down a bouquet of flowers or a cute card or anything, BUT, I can guarantee that all the crazy things I can think of that I really wish would happen, probably never will. (Unless there's anyone out there who wants to take a shot at it?... :) Maybe I've just watched too many chick flicks, but yeah, valentine's Day just seems to always be a bit of a let down, even when I've had a boyfriend at the time.
So, okay, maybe I am a tiny bit bitter about the "hallmark holiday" or "Single Awareness Day" but that's okay. I somehow subconsciously wore a pink shirt today, so there is a small part of me that will always hope to be impressed by some grand gesture...
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I discussed this w/ Mica recently. I don't like celebrating the "hallmark holiday." he says any girl that says they too don't like it, still truly want to get something special that day.
I say then it's just a product of commercialism conditioning people.
he says they still want some attention no matter how skeptical or critical they are about the day.
so maybe I should've bought flowers for my special lady friend on the 13th. maybe the 15th.
Agreed, of course every girl wants something special (no matter what we say), but that desire is feuled by the lifetime of commercialization we are exposed to. So those of us who choose on any given year to eschew the holiday are really trying to reset our expectations for it...and somehow we are still disappointed when nothing happens. Vicious cycle (and I agree with Mica - for a change :) )
Post a Comment