Sunday, February 12, 2006

Fabulous weekend

My plan this weekend was to shirk responsibility and just have fun, which worked out well for the most part. The weekend started early with a work meeting on Friday afternoon that culminated with a wine tasting at 5pm. From there, I went to a friend's house in Noe Valley for multiple bottles of wine and, eventually, Thai takeout. I met some of her neighbors who are from, of all places, Irvine! AND they went to UNI (about 5 years before me, but still). They had Mark Christensen for AP History and did track/cross country so they knew Coach Janice and Mr. Wroblicky. Small world! And then after about 9pm it was just Kate and I enjoying girl talk and watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics - a nice way to ease into the weekend.

Saturday morning I was up early to go hiking on Angel Island. I did this hike for the first time shortly after I moved to San Francisco, and on a clear day, it's amazing. For anyone who doesn't know, Angel Island is behind Alcatraz, and there are no bridges connecting it to the mainland. It's just zoned for park use, and there are a few trails up and down the mountain that are doable in just a few hours.

So my roomies, a coworker, and a few friends met up to take the ferry to Angel Island, hike to the top, eat lunch/lay out/take naps, and then hike back down. We still had an hour and a half before the next ferry, so instead we took an alternate boat to Tiburon, where we were hoping to grab a beer and a bite to eat at Sam's. All the outdoor restaurants were absolutely slammed though, and we ended up at this great little Mexican restaurant down the road. A beer and a taco, and I was set. The ferry ride back to SF was reminiscient of the "drunk bus" at UCSC that would pick up students downtown when the bars closed, except we were sober, so weren't that impressed by all the Marina girls' outfits and drunken sailor walks, but oh well. Once home, I showered and quick changed to meet up with a friend at A16 for dinner. The night ended relatively early, but I had a fantastic time wine bar hopping and being out in the Marina with a new friend.

I had the luxury of sleeping in on Sunday and then enjoying the weather (which was even better than the day before) by going for a 90 minute run. I basically combined two of the runs I usually do (one to the Golden Gate Bridge and back and the other to the end of Marina Green and back). In the afternoon, I didn't want to just spend money by shopping or eating out, and none of my friends were available, so...out the window went the anti-responsibility weekend resolution, and instead, I did my taxes. It wasn't so traumatic though. I'm getting a sizable amount back and I actually have a little (sad, but true) tradition of doing my taxes on Valentine's Day weekend each year. I also got to talk with Brea in China and Alexia in the city, so it was good to catch up as well.

Now it's Sunday evening, but the weekend isn't over yet! I'm going to Millenium for dinner with some friends downtown. It's an upscale vegetarian restaurant that I've been to once before, but it was several years ago. I'm excited to go, as the food is definitely gourmet and it will be fun to be with a group that includes some out-of-towners. Well, that's my weekend! Not bad. I may even pack tonight for my travels later on this week. (Go figure, I plan NOT to be responsible and I end up doing taxes, laundry and packing ;) I'll be in Atlanta Thursday and Friday, and then in Chicago until February 26.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Just zoned for park use"? "Just zoned for park use"? Dammit, woman, I did not become a city planner so you could sit around denigrating the magic of zoning!

Anyhow, glad you all had fun, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it.