I finally made it back to the UK last week to visit with friends, a year after moving back to San Francisco. I worked remotely, rather than taking vacation, which worked out really well, considering that all my friends are working during the day anyhow! I only had a few social commitments confirmed just before heading over, but the week fell into place very nicely, and I was able to have quite the UK experience, even though I didn't even try to see everyone I would have liked to. Here are some of the highlights:
Being a tourist in Central London with my friend from high school, Rachel, who was visiting with me.
A day in the country with Rachel, Victoria and Oliver to climb around ruins from the 1100s, see George Bernard Shaw's house, have a pub lunch, and go walking for an hour in the fields near my old house.
Going to the theatre with Victoria and Tim to see Noel Coward's "Design for Living" at the fantastic Old Vic Theatre. (Alas, no photos of this!)
Attending my first ever football (soccer) match at Chelsea v. Newcastle, sitting in Corporate Box seats in the box next to Roman Abramovich (the Russian mogul who owns Chelsea FC).
Meeting up with a few friends for well-crafted cocktails in SoHo and ending the night at one of my favorite Thai restaurants in London.
Visiting with my long-time friend John to celebrate his and his girlfriend's birthdays. We has drinks in Windsor and dinner at an Italian restaurant in Bray. (John is on the right).
I returned to the US laden down with overweight suitcases, as this trip was my final move of my books, some wine, and other odds and ends I had left in the UK. After 10 days there, I was ready to come home, in part because I came down with a cold (London always makes me sick). But at the same time, it was so nice to feel at home in London, to visit with a few friends, and just have a change of pace from American life.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Do you know how hard it is not to make a comment pretending I think that's John's girlfriend in the last picture.
And seriously, your hair is looking awesome these days
Do you know how hard it is not to make a comment pretending I think that's John's girlfriend in the last picture.
And seriously, your hair is looking awesome these days
How cool it was to see they still have red telephone boxes in the UK ~ I've not been to the UK for a while and the last time I was there, it looked different to me. Out of curiosity, did you have a favorite Indian restaurant in London? I heard that the Indian food is wonderful.
Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment