Monday, July 19, 2010

Rafting and Wine Tasting

A long overdue update to the blog....but just a quick recap of the weekend. As a last minute trip, Lisa, Stephanie and Janelle (an intern in Lisa's office) and I all decided to go rafting up in Cache Canyon on Saturday, stay the night in Sacramento at Lisa's mom's house, and then wine tasting in Napa on Sunday on the way back to the city. I was particularly excited to escape the fog, as SF summer weather has been typically cool and cloudy this June and July (and I am not impressed)!

Saturday was an early start from the city to get to the launch point up past Cache Canyon (if you live in the Bay Area, you will recognize it from the Cache Canyon Casino advertisements). We were rafting with Cache Canyon Tours, a cheap and cheerful outfit with unguided two man boats. The setup was perfect for a river with only one level 3, and mostly level 2 rapids.

Stephanie and I teamed up, and Janelle and Lisa joined up, and we all launched into the river with plenty of other weekenders, manned with coolers of adult beverages, water guns, and a friendly vibe. In total, we rafted 8 miles, but we stopped often to enjoy a drink, chat with new friends, and we even had a BBQ lunch by the company as well!




It was an exhausting day, but the 90+ degree heat, and the refreshing cool water were a perfect reprise from the city fog. It really felt like summer, and like we were at an adult summer camp. We wrapped up around 4:30 and headed towards Sacramento for a home-cooked meal at Lisa's mom's house. We were all so exhausted, but not too tired to enjoy some s'mores in the backyard before calling it an early night.

On Sunday, we were back in Napa at Domaine Carneros before noon. We camped out on our own corner of the terrace, overlooking the vineyards, and chatting with our server and other passersby. In fact, we even met one who joined our entourage for the day! Jason, a professional producer and photographer, joined us for the afternoon, and took several photos for us as well!

Here are a few of the many great shots he captured:

Domaine Carneros

Our Charlie's Angels pose

Final winery, Etude

With less traffic than expected, I was home by 6:30pm on Sunday, but definitely not ready for the work week to start. I capped off the weekend with a relaxing evening at home with Ben, who I hadn't seen since Thursday morning. Alas, now it's Monday, but I am enjoying reliving the weekend's memories...

No comments: