10. Holding an open house instead of individual appointments feels a lot like speed dating.
9. You can usually tell in the first few minutes if you are going to want the place. If not, you spend the rest of the viewing making light conversation and hoping for a quick exit.
8. If there is any note of desperation in the ad (must fill vacancy NOW!), run away.
7. If the place seems too good to be true, it usually is, and you will only find out once you have moved in.
6. “I am still looking at other places” means I don’t like you enough to commit to this place, and I am just giving you the heads up that I will never call you back.
5. If you think you can just “make it work”, it isn’t a true match.
4. When they don’t post a picture, there is a reason.
3. “What are your deal breakers?” means “Tell me now if you are going to move in and then leave after the first month once you find out that I [insert bad habit/poor hygiene/crazy behavior /radical views here]”
2. “It’s not you, it’s me” means it is you. You are crazy and I don’t want to ever see you again.
1. No matter what your criteria list is, when it is the right place, you just know.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
wait, are you looking for a roommate or for an apartment? are you moving?
Both! I am looking for another room in a shared apartment. I really want to just slot into a functioning apartment with a furnished living room, kitchen, etc. so all I have to worry about is my room. But, I am going beyond the sublet and am now looking at month-to-month longer term situations.
Interesting read about how looking for an apartment is like online dating. How true! Keeping fingers crossed for you that you will find what you are looking for.
On another topic, I started my blog and am trying to figure out how to get the reactions check boxes at the bottom of each post.
So true about the fit. My first two roommates, I knew instinctively were good. I was having some doubts about my third and I should have listened to my gut. Ah well. Lesson learned!
You crack me up. :) K
Post a Comment