Saturday, March 06, 2010

RSA 2010

I usually keep this blog free from work-related posts, but for those who are wondering where I have been this last week, I have been busy boozing and schmoozing at the annual RSA Security convention in San Francisco. This is one of the biggest security conferences of the year, particularly for less technical folk (it ain't no Black Hat). It is chock full of vendors, practitioners, and consultants running around, meeting for coffee, beers, and occasionally attending a seminar.

In addition to meeting many new, valuable contacts in my industry, I also ran into old friends and former colleagues, reconnecting with people from my London days, and my Big 4 days. I was out each night, and on the conference floor each day. Attending the conference also gave me some motivation and inspiration for being "back to work". Some of you may not believe me, because I don't really appear to work all that much, but things are changing, projects are kicking off, I am getting interview requests, and I am getting involved in industry groups (i.e. unpaid work to learn and help solve problems).

And best of all, all of this happened in my home city, where I knew the turf, the bars, and the best corner to catch a cab. I had a great time, but I am exhausted this weekend. I am back in Irvine for a few days to visit the parents and kick off the tax submission process, but for the time being, I think I will just take a nap!

No comments: