There is a recent commercial for Glad ForceFlex garbage bags that makes me cringe every time I watch it. I went to YouTube and Google to find a clip of the commercial, but couldn't find the specific one I was searching for (This one (click on Glad TV) shows just part of the one I am referring to). Instead, I found several other blogs where people have ranted about the exact same thing I am about to do.
The commercial shows a mother flinging plates of leftover meatloaf into a garbage bag and being frustrated that the bag didn't stay affixed around the edge of the trash bin, and therefore making a mess. Then the commercial shows that if she used a ForceFlex bag, the food would have stayed in the bag (repeat of the food flinging exercise) and not only that, the bag won't break even if you stuff a pizza box into it!
There are so many things wrong with this commercial. I know I am spoiled at the moment living in San Francisco, because we have one of the most flexible composting and recycling programs in the country, but seeing the amount of food being thrown away, and not being kept for leftovers (it really was enough for several more servings), and then seeing the pizza box not being recycled, frustrates me so much. I am not arguing that the ForceFlex bags don't live up to their promise of a nearly unbreakable trash bag, but I am truly appalled at the way they have chosen to market this product.
Shame on Glad. I have just written them a customer response via this website. Please do the same if this irritates you as much as it did me! But, if you don't have as much free time as I do (and who does? ;) then just appreciate that I am looking out for the consumer's interests!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
An interesting fact...Somerville won't recycle pizza boxes. Not sure why but it is on the list of things not to put in recycling. http://www.somervillema.gov/CoS_Content/documents/ESG-2009.pdf
I love this post - thanks for writing in, sistah'!
Post a Comment