Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Heart Day!

February is turning out to be a great month so far. Nothing momentous has happened, but I literally woke up on February 1st with the optimism, energy and motivation that is normally associated with the New Year and its resolutions.

Work is starting to pick up, I am reconnecting with several former colleagues from the States, and I am meeting new people in my field through various networking opportunities. I love the neighborhood that I live in, and there may even be an opportunity to stay in this apartment longer term. (I will know more in March). This past week I have exercised every day for 5 days in a row, alternating between 90+ minute yoga classes and 60 minute runs. I am eating ultra healthy (less meat, very little sugar and nearly no processed/pre-prepared foods, whole grains when I do eat grains, significantly less alcohol, etc. The list goes on of things that I am not eating, but rest assured, I AM eating a ton: plenty of fruits and vegetables, lots of homemade soups, and I am feeling energized, healthy, and "clean" inside and out).

I am also trying to take lessons from yoga that are meaningful to me into my daily life. The two characteristics of yoga that I enjoy the most are strength and kindness: strength in character, resolve, and body and kindness to yourself and to others, often involving patience. So on this Valentine's Day, my kindness to myself has been the gift of time to cook, practice yoga, and enjoy the beautiful afternoon in the city. I wish a happy Valentine's Day to all my friends and loved ones, and hope that, if you do have a significant other, you take this holiday and every day as an opportunity to let that person know how much you appreciate them. It may be a Hallmark holiday, but you don't have to buy a card or a box of candy or a bunch of flowers to express yourself in a meaningful way.

Happy Heart Day!

2 comments:

Brett said...

Life is good!

Kate said...

Yay for you - inspirational, sistah! (Or maybe the inspiration I'm talking about is dancing 'til 4am as you mentioned in your prior post...ha ha!) :) K