As many of you who travel know all too well, the airlines (except Southwest, or when you have status) are charging everyone for checked bags. I particularly like the Southwest ads, where one of their tag lines is "why do they hate your bags? See the ad here.
I was also particularly annoyed to find out that the airlines have now started this practice on international flights as well, although on average, your first checked bag is free, and then the second bag is $50. As someone who moves across the world via plane, those charges can add up!
So this morning, as I logged on to United to pay for my bag to fly with me, I saw this:
I am a savvy enough consumer to recognize that no, United, you did not just save me $5. You just charged me $15. $15 more than you should have! I mean, sure, I will pay for the bag fee online to "save" $5 compared to the airport charge, but do they really think they are fooling anyone?
I have started flying Southwest much more now because "bags fly free" and because they now fly to/from SFO. The derisively dubbed 'Greyhound of the Sky' is now winning experienced travelers over, particularly when you don't have a company paying for your flights and fees. Also, they still serve peanuts. I like that.
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
BA charged us for bags. There was a "discount" for telling them during online check in how many we would be checking, but I had the same thought, that that wasn't actually a discount.
You wanna check out Ryanair - they don't even have the decency to sugercoat their scullduggery - £5 per person per flight if you pay with anything apart from the antiquated electron card. That's why I travel one way alone :)
BTW, who's Christinel? Is that your new pseudonym to go with your dark hair?
Colin - for some reason, the automated systems can't seem to separate my first name from my middle initial. And my first name is Christine so on boarding passes I always end up as CHRISTINEL. I haven't had any problems with it so far, since it does match my passport and driving license, except for the space...
Post a Comment