Sunday, October 04, 2009

The final leg home

This past week has been the "move back to California" week. I left Boston on Wednesday to fly to Orange County via Dallas. Brea had to help me get all my bags up to the check in desk, where they then tried to charge me another $150 for my checked bags. I had already paid $150 when I left London, but the AA desk thought that because my layover in Boston was more than 24 hours, that the fees would apply again. Oh no, I don't think so! I politely requested that they ask their supervisor and I showed them the receipt from London for my itinerary. After nearly 10 minutes, the agent came back to say that neither he nor his supervisor were entirely sure, but that they will "waive" the fee. Ha. Whatever you want to call it, I got on the flight without paying for additional baggage charges.

On the way to Dallas I watched The Soloist movie, and at the airport I had dinner at T.G.I.Friday's (so American!). On the next flight to CA I was also able to get my carry on roller bag gate checked (which is great because it weighed over 40lbs and I can't really lift it into the overheard bin without assistance). This flight was also uneventful, and I watched The Proposal. However, I did something on this flight that I have never done before in my hundreds of flights I have taken. I didn't even realize what I had done until yesterday, as I was looking around for my iPod. Yep, you guessed it. I left my iPod in the front seat pocket.

Of course I have called the airlines, and of course, they have not returned my call (they only call you back if they found the item). Not only do I know the exact flight/seat I was on, my iPod is engraved on the back with the silly phrase "Cdawg's Boombox". But no, nothing to be found. :( Sigh. I will probably just buy a new shuffle first for going on runs, and then will bite the bullet for the iPod Classic after I make some more money. My last iPod has served me well, traveling with me all over the world after I bought it in summer of 2008, but I am disappointed to have it gone.

My first two days in Irvine on Thursday and Friday were split between trying to get back into work mode, and transferring from living out of suitcases to living out of the spare drawers and closet space in what used to be my room, but is now my mom's office and second guest room. The heat here in Southern California (upper 80s/above 30C) has not helped the situation. I wanted to be outside enjoying it, not suffering in the stuffy upstairs home office!

As a belated birthday dinner, Bernard took me out to a fantastic wine-focused restaurant in Costa Mesa called Old Vine Cafe on Friday night. They have wine pairing suggestions with every single item on the menu and there are 3 tasting menus as well, including a vegetarian menu. It was an excellent meal, and I would definitely go back. (Thanks again Bernard!)

On Saturday night we had the family birthday party to celebrate my dad and my birthdays (same day!) so I spent Saturday day helping with the meal, including making the dessert (apple crumble). We had both Grandmas, my Aunt/Uncle, my parents and my brother and I. It was a lovely evening of good wine, catching up with family, and having my brother help me install Microsoft Office onto my little netbook using his student discount (yay!)

This next week will be more work-only orientated, as I have 2 clients to juggle and no more excuses such as being on flights, having a vacation for my birthday, living abroad with an 8 hour time change, etc. Oh well. I am 30, I guess I can grow up and go back to work...

I fly up to San Francisco on Thursday night though to start my sublet of a studio apartment in on the Civic Center/SOMA border (on Market at 10th/Fell). I will have the apartment for one month, so I look forward to catching up with all my Bay Area friends soon!

2 comments:

Brett said...

bummer about the iPod...might as well write that one off. Go for the Touch...

Christie said...

Problem with the Touch...it isn't big enough. I have over 50GB of music and the largest Touch at 64GB is $400!!! Hm. I think I will just get a shuffle for now and see about a larger iPod closer to Christmas...