Whenever I have moved to/from London in the past, I have always managed to do it by suitcase instead of shipping things. This time, as I prepare for my flight to Boston on Wednesday (which is really just a 5 day layover before my connecting flight to London on Monday), I am really having a hard time packing.
I will be checking two suitcases, attempting to make each one just under the 50lbs weight limit. My carry-on will max out at what I think is the 40lb weight limit, and will contain all my electronics/chargers, important documents, a few books and anything else heavy I can offset from the larger bags. The two suitcases I am checking need to contain pretty much everything else - all my shoes, jackets, clothes and cosmetics. I also have a friend from Irvine who will bring yet another suitcase to Boston for Brea's wedding in May, which I will then carry onwards to London then. The problem is, I don't really know what I am packing for.
Am I packing for another year in London, in which case I should try and squeeze in a few sweaters and my boots? Or will I only stay a few months and maybe not even work in the UK, which would clear up a lot of space that my work clothes are using up. I know I can't answer this question now. I am submitting my rejected visa application for administrative review this week, and I am not too confident about a decision turnaround. But will I reapply for another visa once I feel confident I have the documentation they believe is correct? (This costs another $1,000 by the way), or should I only look for UK jobs where an employer will sponsor me? (Not too likely in this economy I would suspect).
As I mull over these more life changing decisions, the second floor of my parent's house is littered with piles and piles of clothes. I have taken over two bedrooms and a bathroom with all my organising, and I have already packed one suitcase multiple times, trying to bring it down below the weight limit. I wish I could put everything into one pile and weigh it. At least then I would know how much to cut before distributing everything amongst the suitcases.
Well, I have less than 24 hours to be fully packed. Here goes!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment