Monday, April 27, 2009

Boston Pre-wedding Planning

I had a whirlwind, and yet very productive, four days in Boston to help Brea with pre-wedding planning. We visited all the venues for the wedding and reception, we brainstormed on decoration ideas, we strategised logistics, and we had some quality Christie and Brea time, getting facials, organising her photos since childhood and staying up late to chat.

I was incredibly lucky with the weather, as it was the first proper weekend of Spring. The temperature on Saturday and Sunday skyrocketed into the 80s, and I enjoyed the sunshine while having Saturday lunch with my cousin Sydney on Newbury Street and getting to wear sundresses on both days. Sunday was Brea's Boston Bridal Shower, put on by her good friends Ginger and Carolynne. There were over 20 of her local friends there, and it was neat to meet so many people who I have heard about and to start to make connections with them before the wedding weekend.

Brea and 3 of her 7 bridesmaids, Kassaundra, Ginger and me

I am coming back to Boston on May 16 to be here for a full week before the wedding activities start. I will admit, one of the events I am most excited about is the Wine & Cheese reception on Friday night, May 22 for out-of-town guests who will have already arrived. We are estimating 40 people, and I get to the wines and provide handouts and/or guidance on the all them to the guests! Since this wedding is a destination wedding for most of the guests, we have decided on expanding the destination theme and only serving international wines. My personal mission will be to choose wines that people are not familiar with or have never tried before (e.g. Gruner Vetliner or Carignan), but that are still similar in style to wines they know and love (e.g.. Sauvignon Blanc or Cabernet Sauvignon).

My Wine & Cheese Party co-host is also named Christy, a friend of Brea's who is a caterer and knows a ton about cheeses. Each wine will have a suggested cheese pairing and will also complement all the other food (platters of fruits, meats, etc). This will be a really fun event to kick off the wedding weekend, but I have a fair amount of planning to do for it in the meantime. I am really looking forward to being back in just a few weeks to help Brea and Nathan get ready for their wedding and of course, to participate in it!

No comments: