Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Menu for Hope

If you are an oenophile or a foodie, this isn't so much a typical holiday charity drive as an opportunity to win some priceless experiences. Check out the Menu for Hope site and follow the links to see the prize options. Each raffle ticket is only $10 and you can choose which prizes you are in the running for.

Menu For Hope is benefiting the UN World Food Programme and last year raised $60,925.12. From the justgiving website regarding this year's drive: "Specifically, the amount we raise will go to support the school lunch program in Lesotho, Africa. We chose this particular program in Lesotho because the WFP is pushing an initiative to supply the program by buying directly from local farmers who practice conservation farming methods. We help feed the kids (which keep them in school) and support their parents and community farming".

So yes, it's a good cause, but more importantly, look what you can win! I've put in tickets to win a day working in a Southern France vineyard with a gourmet meal shared with the vineyards owners at the end of the day, original vineyard photographs by an Michael Regnier routinely featured on the vinography.com blog, and a free tasting menu for two at Les Trois Garcons in London.

There are prizes based all over the world, but many of them are US-based which is one reason I'm not bidding on them. Check out the offers for a private wine blending session at Crushpad or your own private live epispode of Wine Library TV with Gary Vaynerchuk. The best formatted site to view the wine-related prizes are here, but they are also referenced on the main site. If any of you win something, please post about it! I will definitely let you know if I do.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Just read some recent posts - cannot WAIT to see you here. SO much to talk about! I have strong opinions on
- MBA (YES - GO GET ONE)
- House (Maybe - fun to look!)
- Close relationships (Hmm... I'd say you can get there; but there may be some subtle culture-differences at work against you here)
- Work/motivation (Need to consider your passion(s) & work there, Ms. Sommalier...and it's TOTALLY ok for your passions to change over time and you to move on! BTW, I have a great contact for you here in the vino-industry)
- Formerly-neat; now-messy you (welcome to the club...don't let it get 'critical' like my life/paperwork is now!)