Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm not just a Californian anymore

I found it very difficult to leave San Francisco on Sunday. No tears or rants, just quiet sadness. I didn't want to pack my bags, go through security and put myself on a 10 hour flight away from the last city I called home. I've had 10 days in California, the longest stretch in the States since I moved to London, and it was much-needed. Even though the promotion high still hasn't subsided, my time in California made me feel very grounded, something that I need from time to time when I sometimes feel like I'm play-living here in London.

Although the entire trip is full of memories, the highlights for me were going to Crystal Cove beach and the Laguna Beach Pageant of the Masters with my parents, finding incredible deals on good-fitting well-fashioned work clothes at the Camarillo Outlet stores, being 'ladies who lunch' with Liz in Mountain View, spending family time with Kate, Yogesh and Deven in San Francisco, getting some sun during a day on a boat with Lisa in the North Bay, having breakfast with my former roommates on Chestnut Street, going to Bar Crudo with Samidha where she treated me to a bottle of 1998 Nicolas Feullaitte Blanc-de-Blancs Champagne, and seeing everyone at KT's bar in the Marina just like old times, even if I didn't have time to properly catch up with everyone as I would have liked.

Saturday night was a perfect end to my trip, and after having lunch with Jeff on Sunday at the Samovar Tea Room, I felt that I pretty much saw everyone, yet I wasn't ready to come back to London. I even played that procrastination game where you almost miss your flight, thinking that the worst thing that could happen is you get on the next flight tomorrow, meaning you have to stay in SF just one more night? (Or is that just me who does that?). Seriously though, I was running late, didn't have time to fill up the rental car, convinced the United gate agent that I was still 5 minutes ahead of the 45 minute bag-check cut off and literally ran through security and to the gate, 3 minutes before boarding. Hmf, I thought, I guess I will go home to London as planned.

The flight was fine--uneventful and I only slept 3 hours. I didn't plan well enough in advance to reserve a London taxi at a reasonable price (£40), and not willing to pay for a black cab ride home (~£75), I stubbornly dragged my suitcases (49.5 and 67lbs each) onto the London Underground system (£1). I arrived back at my Wimbledon flat an hour and a half later, exhausted and a bit spacey from lack of sleep, but knowing that I had to buy groceries and do laundry before crashing into bed. I accomplished both and then decided to take a little nap. I set my alarm for 90 minutes but of course slept for 3 hours, awake and finally feeling a bit more like my usual self at 8pm. Inevitably I was awake until nearly 4am, but up at 10:30 today and about to go for a run, I think I'm doing well with the time change.

Nearly unpacked this morning and drinking my Whole Foods coffee from a mug I brought back from the States, I am actually pretty glad to be back in London. I have the rest of the week off, giving me time to get settled in the new flat and plan for the Tuscany trip in just a few more weeks. I did have an incredible time in California, but London is home now and I'm looking forward to seeing my friends and coworkers again here. In fact, I am feeling very lucky. I am living in an incredible international city and having a fantastic time, but I still have the financial freedom and generous vacation time to visit the States a few times a year. The only thing I'd change is the time difference and flight time between my various homes, but so far I seem to be collecting a set of them that encourages return visits (the OC, Santa Cruz, and San Francisco).

It was great to see everyone this August, and I'm looking forward to our next chance to visit. For some of you, that's Tuscany in just a few weeks, and for others, I'll be back in the Bay Area for New Years! For everyone else, come visit me in London!

1 comment:

Kate said...

My dear, you can take the girl out of OC, but you can't take the OC out of the girl. Don't worry your pretty blonde head; you're still a Californian. *wink*

Congrats again on the promo - maybe you can convince them to let you go to St. Charles for Manager's School?

Was awesome to see you again - but I agree, your trip was too short! Hugs!