Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Big One

Yes, I've been remiss in posting the past several weeks. But not because there isn't much of anything going on - quite the opposite, in fact. There has been much activity, pre-planning, and discussions, and I'm finally feeling comfortable enough with what's "to be" that I will post it on the Web.

I have big news everyone - I mean BIG: I'm moving to London!

Wait, did you read that correctly? Yes, I'm moving from beautiful San Francisco, which has felt like "home" to me more than any other place. It's hard to explain why, but something has changed, something having to do with living in India, with traveling to more places, with starting to pursue some nearly abandoned goals (such as practicing and relearning French). I have had such an amazing time with wonderful friends in SF these past 6 months, but there is something missing, and I decided it was that I need to move to Europe, now, while I am still unattached to a guy, a house, a kid, or other such worthy, but thus far, escaped obligations on my part.

Until all the details are definitely hammered out, I will keep this as brief as possible. Basically, I'm transferring from my US-based company to the UK-based entity. This isn't just a flip-of-the-switch transfer though. I will resign here, and get rehired there, meaning paid in British pounds, be under the bureaucracy (and mercy) of NHS, and I'll be a work permit-holding, visa carrying expat all by October.

"How long will I be there?" seems to be the most common question. Well, I'm commiting verbally to my company, and internally to myself, at least 2 years, which if nothing else is long enough to see if I can get promoted to Manager and to spend my weekends city-hopping all over Europe. Officially though, I don't have to come back unless I leave my company and can't find another one to hire me. I'm in this for the long haul, and I am definitely up for the adventure.

Visitors are welcome, with a few caveats (must bring me requested items, possibly including a bottle or two of Californian wine; and must not complain (too much) about whatever miniature box of a flat I end up living in. Hey, it's London, it's expensive! It ain't no budget of a city like San Francisco! ;)

2 comments:

eva said...

Yayyy! Congrats again! And you can pencil me in for New Year's Eve...My broke-ass soon-to-be-a-student-again feeble mind thinks this sounds like a good idea now... Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I've been wondering what all this "London" business has been about on your gmail profile these days. Glad I'll get to see you at least one last time before you start packing and preparing for the Big Move (RENT in August, remember?)

Shall definitely make plans for Europe in the near future, too...