I was groggily standing in Starbuck’s the other morning, patiently waiting for my Grande Nonfat Latte, when I overheard an older man ordering his drink: “Grande, Latte, Decaf, Nonfat”. He said each word very carefully, as if he were proud of himself for being able to order such a complicated drink.
All I could think of was, didn’t he mean a Grande Decaf Nonfat Latte? Of course, they are both the same thing, but the absurdity of having a “grammar” if you will for ordering Starbuck’s slightly amused and appalled me….and then my next thought was, he’s getting decaf? It’s 7am, and he’s ordering a very specific, and expensive, decaf coffee? That’s even more bizarre.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Here it would be a grande decaf skim latte.
In the past I have always been an anti-Starbucks kind of person. Preferring my coffee in sizes small and large. Typically large. I have however recently started buying more Starbucks and have been getting Grande Mocha. I started by always asking for an extra shot, then learned that this is a triple. So I've picked up the Starbucks vernacular of "Triple Grande Mocha". Two of these typically are capable of getting me going in the morning.
Decaf anytime is just silly, at 0700 it is absolutely downright bizzarre.
Post a Comment