I had booked my ticket with miles, flying first class, although not all went to plan. I got rerouted on a few legs of coach on a different airline in order to make it there on Thursday, but the confusion of the different carriers and last minute changes meant that my bags did *not* make it there with me. I was a little stressed out for a bit, but fortunately, they were able to get them on yet another airline and down to the island on the last flight of the day, so I had my dress to wear to the wedding after all!
Cocktail reception on the roof of the hotel after the wedding
The wedding weekend events allowed the 50 of us attending to mingle with Claire and Sean's family, friends and coworkers in a beautiful setting. The welcome reception drinks, the wedding, and the cocktail reception afterward were all held at the Grand Cayman Beach Suites. Many of us were staying at nearby hotels, but with the small size of the island and interconnected beach fronts, it was pretty easy to just meet up with people every day for ultimate frisbee, floating around in the ocean, and of course sharing some adult beverages.
Claire and I at welcome reception drinks
Erik, Mike and I at welcome drinks
Sean, me and Claire at the reception
Justin, me and Erik at the wedding reception
Jackie, me, Kevin and Mike back at the hotel bar after the reception
The night of the wedding was an epic party. We literally switched venues 5 times throughout the night to keep the party going, including crashing the hotel employee lounge on the hotel rooftop at 2am after the lightning storm turned to an actual downpour. There was singing of Irish songs, and drinks courtesy of Mike who purchased a bottle of vodka and charmed Sarah the bartender into giving us a bottle of cranberry juice as well. After a few nights in a row partying at the same hotel and hotel bar, we felt like we owned the place by the day that we left. We were on first name bases with the bar staff and they were all super friendly.
There was also a convenient bus service that went up and down West Bay Road, where all our hotels were. I use the word "bus" loosely. It was really a series of privately-owned, but licensed, passenger vans and I never had to wait for one for more than 5 minutes. They beep if they think you need a ride, you wave, you hop in and let them know when to let you off, all for $2. It was like a cheap taxi more than a bus, and it was a perfect way to get between venues in the hot and humid temperature.
During the day, the best activity was to switch back and forth between the beach, pool, and sand. A few sample photos of what I spent my weekend looking at:
Everything about the weekend was fun, and I had plenty of people to hang out with, even though I traveled there by myself. It was so nice to get away and have a refresher taste of what my sabbatical year was like. I didn't even check my work email for 4 straight days. More trips should be like this!

No comments:
Post a Comment