Maneesh gave me a ride from Kate and Yogesh's in Noe Valley over to my new 'hood, and we explored the neighborhood together, checking out my soon-to-be local haunts. We had a round of drinks and food at Amelie wine bar over on Polk Street,and then ventured down to S.N.O.B wine bar for wine and cheese before ending up at the closest bar to my house, Cafe Meuse (you guessed it, another wine bar). I really liked Meuse, a cozy bar on the Hyde cable car line with a good wine selection, small plates, and great beers too. I think I will be visiting often. And Thursday is Ladies Night, buy one glass get the second glass free. I know more than a few girls I can round up for that!
Other places nearby to check out in the future are: Nook Wine Bar, Hyde Street Bistro, 1550 Hyde, and a seafood and raw bar - all within two blocks.
Today I got more settled into my room and the kitchen. Round one of clothes are now unpacked (my brother is bringing me up round two on Friday; he drove up clothes and 6 boxes for me from Irvine this week since he will be staying in Santa Cruz for the next few weeks). I also have started getting settled into the kitchen by rearranging the spices and oils. Most of you know how happy this makes me. I love organizing and reorganizing kitchens, particularly ones that I will be using. The other flatmate, Susan, and I are the only ones who cook. (Third flatmate is a guy named Travis who I haven't met yet but apparently only uses fridge space for beer and eats out most of the time). She and I decided that we may as well reorganize since the communal spices were in more than one cabinet, and tomorrow we will go through the rest of the cabinets.
This afternoon, I went running down to North Beach and the Embarcadero to try out my new Christmas present: new running shoes! The way down hill was nice, but I knew that only meant a rough run back up! Fortunately, Pacific isn't very steep on any given block, just a gradual incline that will be great for getting me into shape. Here are a few pictures from my street and rooftop.
Looking down Pacific towards the Embarcadero
Rooftop view towards Bay Bridge
Hazy sunset view of the Golden Gate Bridge. On a clear day this will be fantastic!
The best way to know which apartment block is mine is to locate this sign for Wong's Driving School. I peeked in today through the blinds and it is an empty room with a desk. Maneesh noticed last night that the office hours are for one hour, once a week. Is this a front for something? Or simply a business on the out? Either way, I find it amusing. If anyone has the guts to call the number, let me know who answers!
This year is off to a great start, and I look forward to hosting dinners at my comfy new sublet!

No comments:
Post a Comment